Happy New Year everyone. I can't even fathom that it is 2011. Time flies when you are having fun.
I enjoyed my Christmas break SO much. I slept in, stayed up late, ate off track (but not totally nuts) crafted, sewed, baked, and hung out with my boys. I don't realize how much I miss my boys while they are in school until I have to send them back after time off.
Let see what else I have to tell ya'll about. Hmmm so I ate while on break. I didn't go wild but I didn't hold back much either. I was careful not to eat 500 cookies and candy and egg nog and all the list goes on and on but I did eat "normal" food and didn't keep any one thing out of my diet like sugar. I knew I was gaining but I wasn't worried about it for those 2 weeks. I gained about 4 pounds which isn't bad at all. Now I just have to get back on track and get them off again.
So with January first in the air it seems like everyone makes these crazy New Years resolutions that they never actually stick to. I heard from a good friend that New Years resolutions are just like when people make an attempt to give something up for Lent. What i mean by this is many people say they are going to give up coffee, meat, cell phones, etc. for Lent only to get a cup of coffee 2 days later. My friends view is that by failing you are not a failure but you have learned lessons about failing. Does that make any sense? Seems like he worded it so much better. Anyways here was my point I am not making New Years resolutions but instead am going to "try" to work on things in my life that I feel need a little work. There is nothing more frustrating to me than when Jan. 1st comes and people go crazy dieting and exercising and fall off quickly because they went so hard core to start. So here are the things I am going to be working on
- Continuing to pack my kids lunches each day. I know they enjoy knowing that they will have a lunch that they can eat instead of worrying if the school is going to feed them bean burritos or some other food they don't like. I also get to show them how to eat healthy and the bonus is the amount of money we save.
- Continue my quest to lose 100 pounds in 1 year. I have 9 1/2 months to go (Sept. 20. 2011) and 70 pounds to go. Slow and steady wins the race. This means that I can lose like 7 pounds a month and hit goal.
- I really want to work on budgeting our money better. My husband and I have a money system that we call columns. Basically in short I get an allowance every 2 weeks to pay for all household items and any extras that I want or need. By household I mean all groceries, cleaners, clothes for the family, entertainment, Starbucks, basically anything that isn't a bill that our family does. I do pretty well but I could do so much better. So this in one area I want to really get a grasp on.
- Having a crafting/sewing business that allows me to stay home with my boys.
- Being a better listener. I love to talk and interrupting mid sentence is a terrible habit I have. (Especially with the hubby)
- Being a better Mommy and wife (but this is an on going job, right?)
- Being more spur of the moment and enjoying life's little moments. So many times I am doing something instead of enjoying my family or what have you. Last night I was cleaning up dinner and getting the house ready for the next day while Shawn and the boys played Wii bowling. I finally sat down and Garrett says to me something about finally Mom can have fun with us too. I need to kick back and realize that time with my boys is so important and a dish or load of laundry can wait. My boys are getting older by the minute and I don't want to look back and regret anything especially with Garrett starting high school next year and it getting to where they would rather be with friends.
Well I think that is pretty much it for things I want to work on and continue doing in my life. What about you? what are some "New Years resolutions" that you are working on?
Have a wonderful rest of the day,